Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cheating

The first time I was pressured into cheating that I can remember was in fifth grade. I was done with my work early and my teacher encouraged me to go around and assist students who were having trouble. As I was helping my friend, she convinced me to just show her the answers to save time. I did not feel comfortable, but I did not want to seem like a goody two shoes in front of my classmates. I lowered my worksheet so she could see, but little did I know, my teacher was listening from outside the door the whole time. She came in the class and scolded me in front of the whole class. I was so embarrassed. After researching student cheating in my Intro To Education class, I discovered that younger children do not always cheat with bad intentions. Most of the time they are eager to stay on task, but may become distracted. Looking at a neighbors work is usually just to help them catch up and not because of laziness. In higher grades is generally when pressure from peers to cheat can begin. Since I understand how it feels to be called out in front of the class because of cheating, as a teacher myself, I intend on pulling a student aside privately and discussing the matter one on one to save them from the embarrassment. How do you plan on handling cheating in the classroom?

3 comments:

  1. Savanna, I think this is a great post about cheating within the classroom because it happens more then we like to think. I can remember a certain instance when I was right around 4th grade, as it was the "cool" thing to do to help other classmates stay on task and be quick about it. Same as you, little did I know, my teacher witnessed the whole situation. Fortunately for me, my teacher pulled both myself and the other student aside and just explained that she could not accept our grades and we would have to retake the assignment again separately. She also explained why it was not acceptable which looking back on it today, I am very glad she handled it the way she did because I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be called out and embarrassed in front of the whole class! I think if I was the teacher in this situation, I would do the same thing and pull the students aside and explain to them why it's not okay to cheat on any assignments and that each assignment should be your own work.

    Great topic for discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post! I loved reading your story, I was very intrigued! Cheating is a big topic for education, and I know a lot of kids do it. I remember when I was younger I cheated because I was embarrassed to be the last one finished on the assignment. When I got older, I knew it was okay to take your time and not rush. I do not cheat now (obviously) and I still usually am the last one to finish something. This used to give me anxiety, and still does, but I have positive teachers who help me understand that it is okay to take my time. If i saw a child cheat I would definitely pull them aside after class and discuss the negative sides to cheating. This could also be a great opportunity to give a student extra help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is very interesting! I never knew that there were facts behind cheating, I always thought that students cheated so that they did not have to study. It never crossed my mind that it could be for them to catch up. Your personal story really supports your belief to pull a student aside to talk privately. I think that many teachers want to handle the matter right up front no matter if it is in private or in front of the whole class.

    ReplyDelete